In a past life I was the president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
So I’ve been asked to pass the word of the upcoming visit by Malaysia’s Minister of International Trade and Industry to Philadelphia on Tue September 21
Malaysia is an excellent place to do business – so if you are looking for a place to locate a foreign manufacturing site or Regional Operating HQ or Regional Logistics Center, you really should consider attending this event
EXECUTIVE ROUNDTABLE MEETING BETWEEN
HONORABLE MUSTAPA MOHAMED,
MINISTER OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND INDUSTRY, MALAYSIA
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
The roundtable is being organized in conjunction with the visit of the Malaysian Trade and Investment Promotion Mission to Philadelphia led by the Honorable MUSTAPA Mohamed, the Minister of International Trade and Industry of Malaysia. Minister Mustapa will provide an update of the economic situation in Malaysia and outline the business and investment opportunities in the country. The Minister will also highlight how US companies could use Malaysia as the gateway to penetrate the growing markets of China, India and the ASEAN region. As a participant in the meeting, you will have the opportunity to seek clarification from the Minister himself on matters related to your business and investment interests in Malaysia and the region. To RSVP for the event, please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 10, 2010. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Mazlan Mokhtar at 212-687-2491
Participation at the roundtable must be pre-registered and walk-ins will not be allowed
- A pro-business government environment, stable political and legal systems with the ideal pre-requisites for growth and profits.
- Attractive tax incentive packages, which allow among others, companies to enjoy full corporate tax exemption of up to 15 years.
- Productive manpower and wage rates of between 8 to 10 times cheaper than many developed countries.
- A diversified economy with vast business opportunities both in resource-based and non-resource-based industries.
- Equipped with one of the most well developed infrastructure and logistical network in Southeast Asia.
- Home to more than 4,000 foreign companies from 40 countries.
- Intellectual property protection that conforms to international standards.
- A dynamic trading nation with two-way trade between US and Malaysia reaching US$33.68 billion in 2009, making Malaysia among the top 20 largest trading partner of the USA.
- A member of ASEAN with the advantage of immediate access to the ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA) of more than 550 million consumers with a combined GDP of $800 billion.
- Outstanding quality of life with rich diversity of cultures, modern medical facilities and international schools.
WHY YOU SHOULD ATTEND THE EXECUTIVE ROUNDTABLE MEETING
- Learn the business and market opportunities for your business in Malaysia and the region.
- Update yourself on the latest policies, incentives and facilities available for doing business in Malaysia.
- Seek opportunities to position your company and expand your business in the fast growing markets in ASEAN and Asia.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR US COMPANIES
- MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES:
Electrical and electronics, medical devices, life sciences, renewable energy, food processing, machinery and equipment, metal working, transport equipment, petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, information and communication technology (ICT)
- SERVICES INDUSTRY:
Regional distribution centers, international procurement centers, regional headquarters, regional/representative offices, R&D, business and professional services, education and training, health services, tourism services.
- Ranked10th Most Competitive Economy in 2010 by Institute Management of Development
- Malaysia ranks 23rd for Ease of Doing Business in 2009 according to The World Bank
- Malaysia has been ranked as 25th Best Country for Business by Forbes Report 2009
- According to A.T Kearney Global Services Location Index 2009, Malaysia is the 3rd Attractive Location for Outsourcing Destinations.
FACTS ON MALAYSIA
- TOTAL AREA:
330,000 square kilometers (127,510 sq. miles)
- POLITICAL STRUCTURE:
A federation of 13 states
- SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT:
Parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarch
- FEDERAL CAPITAL:
- MAJOR LANGUAGES:
Malay (official language), English, Mandarin, Tamil
GMT + 8 hours, US Eastern Standard Time + 12 hours
Equatorial – warm and sunny throughout the year. Daily temperature ranges from 33°C (90°F) in the afternoon to 22°C (70°F) during the night.
- EXCHANGE RATE:
US$1– RM 3.24 as of August 2010